Thursday, September 6, 2007

Le Trench


Sat at the table, eating breakfast this morning, listening to the weather report on the radio. The weather report announced a chance of rain, ah I thought, time to put on my trench-coat. The trench-coat, or le trench as the French call it, is a Parisian must! As soon as there is a slightest hint of rain everyone will be out in their trench-coats. Traditionally trench-coats are supposed to be waterproof but most of the ones I have seen recently are anything but waterproof, yet for some reason when it rains, waterproof or not, a trench-coat must be worn. The trench-coat is a timeless classic, it has been a fashion item for years, which explains why it is so popular with French women. French women like classic clothes and the average French woman tends not to want to stick out from the crowds. More importantly they like to be chic and a trench-coat is chic! Most of the people I see on the metro wear black or beige trench-coats, which also explains its popularity with French women, le beige, a favourite, inconspicuous colour. However, this morning whilst observing my fellow trench-coat wearers, among the beiges and the blacks, I observed a chocolate brown trench-coat and even a red trench-coat, very daring! I have a beige trench-coat. For years I have fought the beige in France, as it washes me out somewhat, although I buckled and severely succumbed to black! But I had to have a beige trench-coat as I have several kinds of black coats and jackets. Whenever I hear that it will rain I'm almost excited to be able to wear my trench-coat and know that I'll be sophisticated and fashionable. So on a rainy morning, before leaving the house, I put on my trench-coat, place my Longchamps bag in the crux of my slightly bent arm, slick a bit of lip-gloss on to emphasise the pout, grab my umbrella and trot off to the metro, VOILA!!

No comments: