Monday, September 3, 2007

La Rentrée


Children get so excited about "Going back to school". As the end of the summer holidays approaches they are already talking about which year they are moving up to and who their teacher is likely to be. When I was a teacher, this time of year was filled with excitement and expectation. Whether it was in the schools or at university, there was a buzz in the air and you couldn't help but get wrapped up in it. Everyone was excited to be back, to be with their friends, refreshed after the holidays. Whereas twenty years ago I would have been admiring my shiny new patent shoes, my nice new school uniform and my new school pens and pencils, this year, despite being much more "grown up", I find that I still enjoy this time of year even though I now work in an office. France literally shuts down over the month of August. Even in Paris, either people go away for around 3 weeks or, those who do not take their holidays at this time cannot do very much as most people are away over August. This may seem ridiculous to the rest of the world, indeed I confess I found it a bit strange myself, but it is one of the things one must accept when one lives in France and there is no point getting annoyed about it you may as well enjoy it. On the one hand, you can wonder about the missed business opportunities, being able to cash-in during the holidays, especially when you see that businesses, shops and restaurants are real sticklers for having their "congès annuelles" but on the other hand, the French may not necessarily be wrong about taking a proper break over summer, thus preparing them for the workload over winter. There is a nice atmosphere when people come back from holidays, they tour the offices and say hi to people and relate how their holidays went. Everyone looks happier. Everyone, (except me as I have very English un-tanable skin!) has a nice tan and it is clear that the weeks spent in the south of France doing very little has done them the world of good. Yes, not a lot of work will get done whilst people get used to being back, yes the happy holiday atmosphere will fade after around a week and yes in the public sector the days when they will be striking are already being planned, but for the time being I say, VIVE LA RENTREE!!

No comments: